This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This Sourdough Grilled Cheese recipe is simple and delicious. A perfect grilled cheese sandwich that is toasty, creamy, and can be made in about 10 minutes.
Why you will love this sandwich recipe:
- The best grilled cheese sandwich recipe only requires a few simple ingredients.
- They tangy sourdough bread adds another layer of delicious flavor.
- Try serving with a bowl of tomato soup or salad for a fast and easy meal that the whole family is sure to enjoy.
Sourdough bread- Choose a good sourdough bread to use. You can use pre-sliced or slice your own from a loaf of sourdough.
You will want the bread to be about ½-inch thick. If making two sandwiches, you will need 4 slices of bread.
Butter - Unsalted sweet cream butter. You can also substitute butter with mayonnaise.
Cheese - I am using American cheese for this recipe because it melts really well and has a nice mild flavor. You can use other cheeses like cheddar, provolone, monterey jack, or other cheeses that melt well.
How to make sourdough grilled cheese
Step one: Brush melted butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread slices butter side down, on a heated large skillet or griddle. You will want the heat to be medium-low or 280 degrees F on a griddle.
Step two: Top with 2-3 slices of cheese.
Step three: Top with another slice of bread, buttered side up. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then carefully flip over and cook another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
How long to cook grilled cheese
The best way is to cook over medium-low heat. The cooking time of a grilled cheese sandwich is about 7 minutes.
- Make sure the heat isn't up too high. If you notice the bread browning too fast, lower the heat. You don't want to burn the bread before the cheese melts.
- Be sure to generously coat the bread with butter. This helps to get a nice golden brown, crispy texture.
- If you prefer your sandwich on the thinner side, press down on the top of the sandwich with a spatula before it's ready to serve.
- Want to make it a full meal, check out this list of sides for grilled cheese.
How to store
Store: Have leftovers? You can store leftover sandwiches in an airtight container or bag in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Reheat: You can reheat the grilled cheese on a skillet or griddle over low heat. You can even reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for about 2 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
There are several cheese that work well. American cheese is a classic choice. You could also use gouda, Havarti, cheddar, or cheddar.
They are typically not grilled but cooked in a skillet, cast iron skillet, on a griddle, or in a sandwich press.
You can use either butter or mayonnaise depending on the flavor you prefer.
Did you try this sandwich recipe? Let us know in the comments.
Sourdough Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 4 slices American cheese
- Brush melted butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices of bread, butter side down, on a heated large skillet or griddle. You will want the heat to be medium - low or 280 degrees F on a griddle.
- Top with 2-3 slices of cheese.
- Top with another slice of bread, butter side up. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then carefully flip over and cook another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.